REORGANIZATIONAL AND GENERAL BUSINESS MEETING
January 3, 2017
Supervisor Dean Edwards called to order the Reorganization and General Business Meeting of the Piatt Township Board of Supervisors on Tuesday, January 3, 2017, in the township municipal building, 9687 North Rt. 220 Highway, Jersey Shore, PA. He led those in attendance in the pledge of allegiance to the flag and a moment of silence.
Present: Dean Edwards, T. Scott Moore, Dennis Rager, Shelly Davis
Visitors: Mark Deitrick, Jr, Officer Brian Fioretti
Dean moved to appoint Scott as temporary Chairman, Dennis seconded, motion carried.
Scott moved to appoint Shelly as temporary Secretary/Treasurer, Dennis seconded, motion carried.
Scott moved to nominate Dean as 2017 Chairman, seconded by Dennis, motion carried.
Dean moved to nominate Scott as 2017 Vice-Chairman, seconded by Dennis, motion carried.
Dean moved to re-appoint Shelly as the Secretary/Treasurer, Dennis seconded, motion carried.
Dean moved to increase Shelly’s current hourly rate by $1.50 per hour, Scott seconded, motion carried.
Dean moved to re-appoint Mark Deitrick, Jr. as Foreman, Steve Riggle, Leonard Stroud, Tyler Myers, Nate Clinger, Jessie Manotti, Ronald Marshall and Cody Myers as Laborers, Dennis seconded, motion carried. Dean moved to increase Mark Deitrick, Jr.’s hourly rate to $17.25 plus give him one additional vacation week, Scott seconded, motion carried. Scott moved to increase laborers’ current hourly rate by .50 cents per hour, Denny seconded, motion carried.
Scott moved to re-appoint Dean as Roadmaster with his wage set by the Auditor, Dennis seconded, motion carried. The Supervisors advised Shelly to inform the auditors, prior to their January 4th meeting, that they are requesting a $2.00 increase per hour for the Roadmaster and a .50 cent raise for the Supervisors as Labor or Clerical.
Dean moved to re-appoint Scott as Assistant Roadmaster, Dennis seconded, motion carried.
Scott moved to establish the treasurer’s bond at $300,000 for Supervisors and Secretary/Treasurer, Dennis seconded, motion carried.
Dean moved to retain Denise L. Dieter as legal counsel at $100.00 per hour with the meeting fee negotiated, seconded by Scott, motion carried.
Dean moved to retain Larson Design Group as township engineer, seconded by Scott, motion carried. Dean moved to retain Weinecke & Verrastro PC as township auditors, seconded by Scott, motion carried.
Dean moved to appoint Tom Young as Vacancy Hearing Board Chairman, seconded by Scott, motion carried.
Dean moved to reappoint William (Denny) Buttorff as EMA Coordinator and Dennis Rager & Rosalyn Price-English as Planning Commission Chairman & Member, seconded by Scott, motion carried.
The Supervisors recognized Karen Olson-Rainey as the 2017 tax collection agent.
Dean moved to retain Jersey Shore State Bank as depositories of township funds, seconded by Scott, motion carried. Scott abstained.
Dean moved to continue holding the monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of each month with the exception of July and November. The July meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 11th and the November meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 14th. All meeting will begin at 7:30 pm, preceded by a work session at 7:00 pm, in the township municipal building. Motion seconded by Scott, motion carried.
Scott moved that Shelly Davis serve as the voting delegates to the PSATS Annual Convention at Hershey PA and that Piatt Township split the conference expenses with Anthony Township, Dennis seconded, motion carried.
Dean moved to appoint all supervisors as voting representatives for the West Branch COG for Piatt Township, seconded by Dennis, motion carried.
Dean moved to retain Jami Nolan as the Township’s primary Sewage Enforcement Officer & Robert Bertin and Denny Shoemaker as the alternate Enforcement Officer, seconded by Scott, motion carried.
Dean moved to appoint Central Keystone Council of Government as our Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code agent, seconded by Scott, motion carried.
Scott moved to retain Municipal Solutions as our Road Bonding Consultants, seconded by Dennis, motion carried.
Scott moved to authorize all township employees to attend training classes and other convention/conferences at employee’s rate of pay not to exceed eight (8) hours per day plus expenses and meals (if not provided) plus furnish a receipt, seconded by Dennis, motion carried.
Dean moved to pay the following holidays, New Years Day, Primary Election Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, General Election Day, Day before Christmas, Christmas Day, & Thanksgiving Day at eight hours (8) for the secretary/treasurer and foreman, Scott seconded, motion carried.
Dean moved to set the mileage reimbursement rate for township business at the Internal Revenue Services’ current standard business rate of 53.5 cents per mile, seconded by Scott, motion carried.
Scott moved to appoint Shelly Davis as Open Records Officer for 2017 as required by law, seconded by Dean, motion carried.
Dean moved to adjourn the reorganizational meeting at 12:35, Scott seconded, motion carried.
GENERAL BUSINESS MEETING
Citizens Comments – None.
Minutes – Dean moved to approve the December 6th General Business Meeting minutes, Scott seconded, motion carried.
Tiadaghton Valley Regional Police Department – Officer Fioretti presented the December 2016 Piatt Township Police Activity Report. There were 81.70 patrol hours, 29 incidents, 12 speeding violations, 6 DUI’s as well as 28 other citations and charges.
Act 537 – Nothing new to report.
Planning Commission – Nothing new to report
- The four-wheel drive in the F450 is not working properly.
- Discussed the three (3) dust to dawn street lights along Route 220 & 287. They have not worked for a quite a while. The Supervisors requested Shelly to contact Lecce Electric and Penn Dot regarding getting them working and switching to LED lighting.
- Put four new tires on the F250.
- Discussed the purchase of a used John Deere 54 Articulator Loader. The asking price is $5,000. No decision was made.
- As part of a Safety Improvement project, the PA Department of Transportation will be installing concrete barriers along the median of SR 220 between Martins Road and Christians Road in Piatt Township. Both passing lanes on SR 220 will be closed during construction. Rather than create a new merge point on SR 220 North, the existing single through lane on SR 220 North at the intersection with SR 287 will be extended through the work area. Left turns from SR 287 South to SR 220 North will not be allowed. Traffic from SR 287 wishing to enter SR 200 North will be detoured vis SR 220 South to the Main Street exit in Jersey Shore where they can access SR 220 North. A detour map depicting the above mention was provided and reviewed. Penn DOT’s concern is that the portion of SR 220 used for the detour is unsuitable for farm equipment. They would appreciate our help in obtaining contact information for anyone who moves farm equipment from SR 287 South to SR 220 North. The anticipated duration of the detour is five weeks between July 5, 2017 and August 9, 2017.
Tax Collection – Nothing new to report.
Solicitor – Nothing new to report.
SEO & PUCC – Nothing new to report
Zoning & Building Permits – Nothing new to report.
EMC & Fire – Independent Hose provided a November Incident Report for the Supervisors to review.
MS4 Update – As expected, the early waiver was submitted to DEP by Larson Design Group. Once we get their recommendation for a waiver approval, Larson will send in the NOI (Notice of Intent) and waiver request to the North Central Regional Office in Williamsport.
Stormwater Management Ordinance – Nothing new to report, still working on it.
Correspondence File –
- An examination of Piatt Township’s Liquid Fuel Accounts for calendar year 2014 and 2015 will be completed by Vicki Baker, CPA with the PA Department of the Auditor General on January 10.
- A monitoring review of Piatt Township’s Liquid Fuels Tax Fund for calendar year 2016 will be completed by Michael Weigel, CPA with the PA Department of Transportation on January 13
- Shelly presented an invitation to the Supervisors for the Public Officials Day at the 101st PA Farm Show on Wednesday, January 11.
- Dean moved to adopted the Designation of Agent Resolution for DR4292 PA, giving William Dennis Buttorff authorization to execute for and on behalf of Piatt Township, Denny Seconded, motion carried.
Dean moved to approve the Treasurer’s Report, Scott seconded, motion carried.
Dean moved to approve payment of all bills and any remaining accounts payable received for 2016, Scott seconded, motion carried.
Dean moved to adjourn, Dennis seconded, motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 1:23 p.m.
Shelly S. Davis